saslauthd & PAM??

jeff at bubble.org jeff at bubble.org
Fri Nov 25 17:28:55 EST 2011

I'm running a Fedora 16 system, recently upgraded from Fedora 15 and I am
unable to get saslauthd to authenticate users.

What I have been able to figure out so far is that the parameters are
being passed to saslautd (eg testsaslauthd -u username -p password -s
smtp) but saslauthd appears to simply sit on the request, running a strace
-f -p xxxx on the saslauthd process I can see my username and password
sitting there but that's it, its just sitting there.

output from strace:
fcntl(6, F_SETLKW, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0,
len=1}{sa_family=AF_FILE, NULL}, [2]) = 7
fcntl(6, F_SETLKW, {type=F_UNLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=1}) = 0
) = 0
accept(5, read(7, "\0\4", 2)                      = 2
read(7, "username", 4)                  = 4
read(7, "\0\6", 2)                      = 2
read(7, "passwd", 6)                    = 6
read(7, "\0\4", 2)                      = 2
read(7, "smtp", 4)                      = 4
read(7, "\0\0", 2)                      = 2
read(7,

I think this means that testsaslauthd is passing the query to saslauthd
correctlybut saslauthd for whatever reason isn't contacting PAM properly.

sysconfig/saslauthd:

SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
MECH=pam
FLAGS=

/etc/pam.d/smtp:

#%PAM-1.0
auth		include		password-auth
account		include		password-auth

selinux is disabled

I'm probably missing something pretty simple but not sure where to look,
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff