New SASLdb mechanism MDB

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Sat Nov 19 02:01:30 EST 2011

Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * Howard Chu<hyc at highlandsun.com>:
>> Attached is a proof-of-concept implementation of a sasldb plugin
>> using the new memory-mapped database library (MDB) we've developed
>> in the OpenLDAP Project. It is probably not suitable for production
>> use, just posting it now to get early feedback.
>
> Impressive read performance!

;) It is blindingly fast for reads...

> Do you anticipate any special benefits regarding MDB usage for sasldb?

Not really, I'm not aware of sasldb being a performance bottleneck in general.
(But admittedly, I haven't profiled or benchmarked sasldb.) My main motivation
is to provide a replacement for BerkeleyDB in software that OpenLDAP depends
on, to make it possible to avoid Oracle licensing ambiguities going forward.

However, the MDB code has the distinct advantage of being much smaller and
simpler than the alternative, which is always good from a maintainability
standpoint. The fact that the core code is small enough to fit into a CPU's L1
instruction cache, runs faster, and uses less memory, is just icing on the cake.

--
   -- Howard Chu