saslauthd SASL_IPREMOTEPORT -> PAM_RHOST

Lorenzo M. Catucci lorenzo at sancho.ccd.uniroma2.it
Mon May 23 14:33:18 EDT 2011

On 05/23/2011 08:10 PM, omalleys at msu.edu wrote:

> My understanding is that it is up to the calling application to log
> the data like CyrusMail should be logging auths,

VERY, VERY TRUE!!! Sorry for AOL-ing!

> If you use PAM_SET_ITEM on PAM_USER it is actually only a temporary
> change, and won't get passed back to the calling application. And I
> don't recall off the top of my head whether this gets passed through
> the rest of the pam stack or not.

Really, PAM_USER should be treated as a "read only" item by the
application, as I tried to express in my previous mail;
on the other hand, RUSER should be set from the application only when
really defined; in the case of an unknown
requestor, one can as well set RUSER to "anonymous" or "root", but not
to the proposed login.

Thank you very much, yours

        lorenzo