version 2.1.24rc1 openldap requirements

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 03:22:34 EST 2011

I thought I had successfully built rpms for version 2.1.24rc1 of Cyrus
SASL. It does itself seem to work for authentication, however, it
seems to be preventing openldap from working on the same system. I'm
using version 2.4.23 that comes with Fedora 14. When I run slaptest, I
get the error:

slap_sasl_init: auxprop add plugin failed
slaptest: slap_init failed!

and I see the following in the log file:

slaptest: auxpropfunc error version mismatch with plug-in

I'm not really sure what plug in openldap is trying to load as it
won't even work with an out of the box slapd.d directory (or a blank
one for that matter). Looking at the source, there seems to be some
sort of version checking which would follow logically from the error
messages, however, I can't seem to tell exactly which piece of
cyrus-sasl is causing the problem. The error goes away once I roll
back to Fedora's cyrus-sasl-2.1.23 so I'm guessing it's something new
in the updated version of cyrus-sasl (perhaps the sasl canon_user
plug-in I'm after) that's causing the problem. Do I need to be using
some specific updated version of openldap or a specific configuration
to make this work?

Steve