Passwords containing backslash - problem.

Lauro Costa G. Borges laurocgb at grad.ufsc.br
Tue Jul 19 15:50:39 EDT 2011

    Hi,

    I am using

-----
libsasl2-2 v2.1.23.dfsg1-5ubuntu1
libsasl2-modules v2.1.23.dfsg1-5ubuntu1
libsasl2-modules-ldap v2.1.23.dfsg1-5ubuntu1
sasl2-bin v2.1.23.dfsg1-5ubuntu1
-----

    and I noticed that when users have a password containing a backslash
or a double backslash, it is not correctly handled by saslauthd (I think).

    My 1st scenario is: users connect to Webmail, which connects to
imapproxy, and then, imap server. This works ok, saslauthd is not used.

    My 2nd scenario is: users try to send mails using Roundcube, which
connects to smtp server (Postfix), and Postfix uses saslauthd. This
does not work.

    The same password works when connecting directly to imapproxy or
imap, or even to webmail (just to check mails, not to send them).

    Even testsaslauthd -u -p does not work. I tried:

     testsaslauthd -u username -p "somechars\morechars" (user has a pw
with 1 backslash)

      testsaslauthd -u username -p "somechars\\morechars" (user has a pw
with 1 backslash)

      testsaslauthd -u username -p somechars\\morechars (user has a pw
with 1 backslash)

      testsaslauthd -u username -p somechars\\morechars (user has a pw
with 2 backslashes)

    Does saslauthd handle backslashes ok for the rest of you? Cause it
doesn't seem to handle it with testsaslauthd or as a Postfix auth daemon.

    Thanks