Newbie lament on SASL authentication with Postscript...

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Jul 8 16:06:02 EDT 2011

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:57:45 -0500
Dan White articulated:

> On 08/07/11 19:28 +0200, Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:
> >On 07/08/11 13:33, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> >>Which system/distribution are you on and where is your smtpd.conf?
> >
> >FreeBSD freebsd2.higonnet.net 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0:
> >Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011
> >root at mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> >
> >postfix/master[3023]: daemon started -- version 2.8.3
> >
> >the version of Cyrus SASL in ports is cyrus-sasl-2.1.23 but I can't
> >guarantee that's what I'm using (I've done so many things and built
> >stuff...)
> >
> >But I have finally put smtpd.conf where it belongs,
> >/usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf, or at least where both saslfinger and
> >postfix van find it since I now get this:
> >
> >250-AUTH LOGIN
> >250-AUTH=LOGIN
> >
> >As of now, with
> >pwcheck_method: authdaemond in smtpd.conf
> >I get
> >
> >Jul  8 19:09:10 freebsd2 postfix/smtpd[3026]: warning: SASL
> >authentication failure: could not verify password
> >Jul  8 19:09:10 freebsd2 postfix/smtpd[3026]: warning:
> >shopi.higonnet.net[192.168.3.111]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed:
> >generic failure
> >
> >when I try to connect from a Thunderbird client and
> >
> >Jul  8 19:11:20 freebsd2 postfix/smtpd[3046]: warning:
> >freebsd.higonnet.net[192.168.3.102]: SASL LOGIN authentication
> >failed: authentication failure
>
> Check your syslog (auth facility) for additional information.
>
> You should verify you have the plain and login shared libraries
> installed with 'pluginviewer'.
>
> Verify that your libsasl2 installation was compiled with
> '--with-authdaemond'.
>
> authdaemond_path defaults to /dev/null, unless your libsasl2
> installation was compiled with a specific. What, if anything, do you
> have configured for that value? Where is your authdamon socket in
> your filesystem? Does postfix have read/write access to it?
>
> Can you run authdaemon in debug mode and see if Postfix is even
> attempting to connect to it?

Might I suggest that you also read the material available at:
http://www.postfix.com/DEBUG_README.html

It appears that this matter might be better addressed on the Postfix
forum. In any case, please supply the following:

1) Output from the postfinger tool. This can be found at
http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger.

2) Output from the saslfinger tool. This can be found at
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/saslfinger/.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net