saslauthd against courier-imap server results in "Unexpected response from remote authentication server"

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Apr 21 18:37:40 EDT 2010

On 21/04/10 11:02 +0300, Oguz Yilmaz wrote:
>My test was with RHEL 5.4 saslauthd 2.1.22-5.el5 against Courier-IMAP
>server 3.0.8.
>
>Apr 21 10:36:47 2010 saslauthd[23061]: auth_rimap: unexpected response to auth
>request: MESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL
>ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision,
>Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
>
>Apr 21 10:36:47 2010 saslauthd[23061]: do_auth         : auth failure:
>[user=test] [service=smtp] [realm=] [mech=rimap] [reason=[ALERT] Unexpected
>response from remote authentication server]
>
>Another point: Another server with RHEL 3.4 with cyrus-sasl-2.1.15-10 is
>working without any error.

Oguz,

Can you provide a complete capabilities output that the remote server is
providing (The initial greeting you see when you telnet to port 143)?

The 'unexpected response to auth request' seems to occur after saslauthd
has believed that it has received the initial greeting, has sent the 'login
user pass', and is expecting to receive an OK/NO.

If saslauthd and the imap server happen to be on the same host (and you
don't otherwise need to use saslauthd), you could use 'pwcheck_method:
authdaemond', instead. If you do, you'll need to also provide
an authdaemond_path parameter.

--
Dan White