sasl_utils_t->getopt() and options availability (or lack) at client side

Francesco Grossi ITQL f.grossi at itql.it
Fri Jan 16 03:29:41 EST 2009

Hi all

Own-made plugin needs a specific option to be known at plug_init time (on
both client and server sides). We put our option (mymech_opt1:value) in the
sasl2/appl.conf file in order to have its value available by means of
sasl_utils_t ->getopt() callback.

We operate like digestmd5 does with its DIGEST-MD5 option and it works as
expected though only on the server side.

The value returned by the client glue code is null.

Thus we've been obliged to "hard read" the client config file.

We have more than a suspect that sasl_utils_t->getopt can't do much more
about it since sasl2 options are stored in a applicationname-dependent
config file: because of sasl_client_init has not application-name among its
parameter (as sasl_server_init does) the glue code is not application aware
(on the client side).

Is our interpretation correct? Are we missing something?

Hopefully we would suggest a future valid alternative to have mechanism
options available at client side.

Many thanks

Francesco Grossi