Next release of CMU SASL - call for favorite bugfixes

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Tue Feb 3 12:50:31 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 13:47 -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> So, first off .. I see that the libtool cyrus-sasl is using is version
> 1.3.5.  Right now libtool is at version 2.2.6.  So ... upgrading would
> probably be a first step that should be pretty simple.

FWIW, we are relibtoolizing at build-time in the Debian package.

We move away acinclude.m4, aclocal.m4, config/config.sub,
config/config.guess, config/ltmain.sh, and config/libtool.m4 and the
same under the saslauthd directory. Then, we do

        libtoolize --force
        aclocal-1.9 -I $(CURDIR)/cmulocal -I $(CURDIR)/config
        autoheader
        autoconf
        automake-1.9 --add-missing --include-deps

And after that we run configure and build the binaries. It should be
quite straightforward to perform these steps and commit newer auto*
stuff.

Another feature which we are adding is versioned symbols. This is a bit
more complicated, but in Debian we can't live without this since we need
to consider the lifecycle of the software and might have several
versions of shared objects installed at the same time -- and runtime
linking has to work. It would be great if symbol versioning was done
upstream, so that the same symbols could be used everywhere.

We have other patches as well, including fixes for building with certain
versions of GCC, and some which we hope add to the stability of the
library.

You can find the patches that we apply on:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-cyrus-sasl2/cyrus-sasl-2.1/trunk/debian/patches/

If you need them explicitly submitted to the Cyrus Bugzilla, please let
me know and I'll try to find the time to do so. We're trying to get
better at pushing our patches upstream, but so far time hasn't
permitted...

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net>