can't get smtp auth/testsaslauthd to work, auth mechanism rimap

Andreas Winkelmann ml at awinkelmann.de
Tue Feb 3 01:21:18 EST 2009

Am Montag 02 Februar 2009 23:12:11 schrieb Dave Della Costa:

> To respond to your question, I get:
>
> XX CAPABILITY
> * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
> THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED
> XX OK CAPABILITY completed
>
> However, sorry to be dense here: what does this mean in terms of what I
> should do?

You should see AUTH=LOGIN somewhere in the Capability-Response. For example:

XX CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN SASL-IR ACL
RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME
UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE IDLE X-NETSCAPE URLAUTH
XX OK Completed

"rimap" is not able to start a SSL-Session, so you need it without issuing
"STARTTLS".

This has to be changed somewhere in your Courier Configuration.

--
Andreas