Wierd problem

Jorge Bastos mysql.jorge at decimal.pt
Wed Dec 16 17:42:52 EST 2009

Howdy people,
For this problem I was able to collect some information.

> Are you using saslauthd? What is it that you do that fixes the problem?
> Does restarting postfix fix it?

I'm not using saslauthd.
Yap, restarting postfix solves it!

> Along with the logs when you have them, please include your postfix
> sasl
> configuration (such as /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf), and the output of
> 'grep sasl /etc/postfix/main.cf'.
>
> Also, smtptest (distributed with cyrus imapd) and testsaslauthd (if
> using
> saslauthd) are good trouble shooting tools.

What I think, is that this is related to the postfix 2.6x defaults, as we
can read here:

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

we can read:

---
smtpd_hard_error_limit (default: normal: 20, stress: 1)

    The maximal number of errors a remote SMTP client is allowed to make
without delivering mail. The Postfix SMTP server disconnects when the limit
is exceeded. Normally the default limit is 20, but it changes under overload
to just 1 with Postfix 2.6 and later.
---

I have now postfix 2.6.5, and the default has (result of: postconf|grep -i
hard)

smtpd_hard_error_limit = ${stress?1}${stress:20}

I've set on main.cf to:

smtpd_hard_error_limit = 50

I believe this is the problem. When I still was with 2.5x, I don't remember
this happening in years...
Does anyone had similar issues like this one?

Jorge,