Request for allocation regarding RFC4752 (SASL/GSSAPI) interop problem

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Mon Dec 7 11:29:40 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 07:17:54PM +0000, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Cyrus SASL interpretation is the correct one, of course ;-).

:)

> But anyway, I agree this is a bit of a problem.
> Have you sent a message to CPAN people on this?

I've chatted with Simon on IM.

> >a) that Cyrus SASL's 'gss' plugin treat '4' and '6' as equivalent, on
> >the server side;
> >

> This would be fine.
>
> >b) that Cyrus SASL add a property for specifying which to send on the
> >client side;
> >

> This is going to be more involved.

Well, it is simple enough...  Just a property with a boolean value.  A
Sun engineer has an implementation of this in a wad that's soon to go
into Solaris, using a "private" property name and code assignment.

> Ok. Can you suggest a property name? Once you do, I will allocate it.

I can't think of a good property name :(  How about:

    SASL_RFC4752_INTEROP_BUG
    SASL_GSSAPI_INTEROP_BUG
    SASL_GS1_INTEROP_BUG
    SASL_AD_INTEROP_BUG
    (maybe a different suffix than '_BUG'?)
	If true -> sent '6' instead of '4'.

I like the first two best.  The last one is probably the most meaningful
to developers, IMO -- apparently AD uses a different SASL/GSSAPI
implementation than Exchange, so this interop bug may be limited to AD,
though I've no evidence either way.

Thanks!

Nico