saslauthd stops working

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Dec 1 16:18:27 EST 2009

http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/lists.html

>2) I do not have an /etc/saslauthd.conf ... here is the contents of
>/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd:
>
>SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
>
>#MECH=pam
>MECH=shadow
>
>FLAGS=
>
>3) Here is my saslauthd-releated sendmail config options:
>
>TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>
>After sending my help request below, I decided to expand them to:
>
>TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
>PLAIN')dnl
>
>4) where would I put the option to increase threads?  Do you have a
>recommendation for 3200 users?

I don't know that the number of threads is an issue, particularly if you
are using pam or shadow. I would not expect you to need more, but if for
some reason you're hitting a resource limit, you can try changing your
FLAGS= entry in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd to:

FLAGS="-n 10"

>5) how do I upgrade to 2.1.23 if not listed in yum?  I can't use the
>binaries since I'm using Fedora 11 rpms installed via yum.

You could compile your own, or see if there is a cyrus list within the
Fedora camp that could assist you.

>6) I noticed this on my newer system (2.1.23) ... it says in
>/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd:
>
># Options sent to the saslauthd. If the MECH is other than "pam" uncomment
>the next line.
>#DAEMONOPTS=--user saslauth
>
>but when I do that and restart saslauthd I get this:
>
>/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd: line 11: saslauth: command not found
>
>line 11 is the DAEMONOPTS=--user saslauth

That appears to be specific to the Fedora init script. I'm guessing there
are missing double quotes around "--user saslauth". You may or may not be
able to read the shadow file with that enabled (depending on the
permissions that you have set on your shadow file)..

--
Dan White