Writing custom authentication plugins for Cyrus SASL

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Sun Oct 12 13:20:26 EDT 2008

Daniel Corbe wrote:
> I want to be able to provide the absolute path to the user's INBOX.

With regards to Cyrus IMAP, you can influence the mailbox name that the
server opens by making use of canonicalization plugin. It allows you to
'map' the authenticated username to a canonicalized username. Cyrus IMAP
with honor the new username.

> I should probably share a little background information about this
> project.
>
> I've got a unified messaging system (voicemail) which stores files in
> a Maildir-like structure.  It lends itself pretty easily to using an
> IMAP server to fetch messages.  Our UM client has IMAP built into it
> and in fact this is how it is working today with the vendor's system
> which we are trying to replace.
>
> Quite simply, there's a plain text username and password stored in the
> database.  I've already got a very simple C program written which is
> linked to libmysqlclient which connects to the database and fetches
> the username and password as would be presented to it if the IMAP
> client had sent something along the lines of:

This actually sounds like a good fit for the existing SQL auxprop plugin:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/cyrus2/options.html

- Dan