Can't successfully test credentials I just created

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Mon Nov 17 15:06:39 EST 2008

Ann Onemouse wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to get saslauthd to provide authentication services for
> postfix, and I have a problem which I think is related only to
> saslauthd. I have installed saslauthd 2.1.22-4 from RPM on a CentOS
> 5.2 xen virtual server:
>
> # echo "testpass" | saslpasswd2 -c testuser -p
<cut>
> OK -- it's using PAM. I don't really want this, because I don't want
> these email credentials to be associated with a shell account. So I
> check to see what methods are supported by my build...
> ===================
> # saslauthd -v
> saslauthd 2.1.22
> authentication mechanisms: getpwent kerberos5 pam rimap shadow ldap
> ===================
>
> Which of these methods allows be to authenticate against the
> credentials I just created using saslpasswd2? Non of them seems to
> work. At least, none of them seems to make "testsaslauthd -u testuser
> -p testpass" run successfully.   :(

Hi Ann,

 From the manpage for saslauthd:

     sasldb     (All platforms)

                Authenticate against the SASL authentication database.
Note that this is probabally not what you want to be using, and is even
disabled at compile-time by
                default.  If you want to use sasldb with the SASL
library, you probably want to use the pwcheck_method of "auxprop" along
with the sasldb auxprop plugin
                instead.

So you could recompile saslauthd with the appropriate support, if you
really do need to use saslauthd, or you could configure your postfix
smtpd.conf file like:

pwcheck_method: auxprop
auxprop_plugin: sasldb

smtptest is a great way to verify.