sasl ldap simple bind request

George Forman georgeforman69 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:29:02 EDT 2008

Based on my testing of saslauthd using ldap for authentication, the bind and the fastbind
configuration doesn't support my needs.
It appears in the bind method, an anonymous bind is first completed, then a ldap search is
requested looking for the user's DN. Once the DN is returned, a second simple bind request
is sent using the user's DN, uid and password.
I tried the fastbind but it seemed to try to bind using the password specified in  saslauthd.conf
and then did an ldap search. If I remove the ldap_bind_pw, it does an anonymous bind which
doesn't meet my requirements.

I need to do a simple ldap bind using the user's credentials and the password provided.

Is creating a new plugin my best option?