list mechs bug in cyrus-sasl 2.1.22 and memory leak

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Tue Jan 29 17:31:47 EST 2008

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:52 PM -0800 Howard Chu
> <hyc at highlandsun.com>  wrote:
>> Why they've messed with the order of name components on MacOS is beyond
>> me. Is that the way all other shared libraries are named as well, or is
>> this just a broken libtool installing things with the wrong names?
>
> Macintosh doesn't natively create "*.so" files.  It creates "*.dylib"
> files.  The fact that SASL is creating "*.so" files indicates that
> something is been done by SASL to change the default Macintosh behavior.
>
> However, "*.dylib" creation is done in the rather broken manner you
> describe, so I would guess that is the default behavior for libtool on the
> mac. ;)

I guess you should take a look at the diff's between Apple's sasl/lib/dlopen.c
and the stock Cyrus version then.

This is one of the big weaknesses of all current open source licenses, IMO.
Back before the GPL, I used to release all my freeware projects with a clause
"you are free to modify this code in any way, but you must send all bug fixes
back to me for inclusion into the main code" as a condition of the license.

When you use free software, you have an obligation to contribute back. When
you encounter bugs, you should report them. When you fix them for yourself,
you should contribute the fix too. It seems that only a small minority of the
people/companies using free software actually understand this principle.
--
   -- Howard Chu