imapd not sending realm to saslauthd

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Sun Jan 13 21:53:24 EST 2008

Daniel Aquino wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2008 9:16 PM, Igor Brezac <igor at ipass.net> wrote:
>
>> See 'man saslauthd' and the -r option.  What saslauthd authentication
>> mechanism are you using?
>>

> There is nothing wrong with my saslauthd and I used the test program
> to verify that.
>
> The problem is that imapd is not sending the realm with sasl plain auth.
>
> The command I used is to attempt this is:
>

>>> imtest -u daniel -p password -r networks.com localhost
>>>

> But saslauthd logs shows that no realm is being passed hence the
> authentication fails.

I am not saying that anything is wrong with your saslauthd, but without
knowing your configuration details and errors you are getting we will
probably not be able to help you.

Realm is passed to saslauthd.  But pretty much all saslauthd
authentication mechanisms are ignoring realm (ldap being one of the
exceptions).   saslauthd -r is a hack around this issue.

-Igor