ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown authentication method (-6)

Chavez, James R. james.chavez at sanmina-sci.com
Fri Aug 15 23:56:48 EDT 2008

Dan,
You are correct thank you! Don't know how I overlooked that on the
client.  I did not have the cyrus-sasl-gssapi package installed on the
clent.
Been a long week I guess although this is all pretty new to me. Once I
installed that I was able to search the directory using gssapi from the
client.

If you do not mind I have another question? I can not get an answer on
any lists but I think I am on the right track..
I have all my users in my openldap directory with their usernames or
uid's in the unix 8 character format of first initial of the first name
and then 7 characters of last name. So for example jmontana. These I
migrated from our NIS domain into the directory. I can authenticate
fine. The issue is the powers that be want everything joined to Active
Directory. The AD user account principals are in the format of
firstname_lastname or joe_montana. They do not match the naming format
of the ldap uid's. It is worth mentioning that if I rename the unix or
ldap uid to first_last I can login perfectly using kerberos credentials
but I would rather map the uids to stay consistent with unix naming
scheme..

I need to login and authenticate with the kerberos credentials and have
those map to the 8 character unix or ldap uid's.
Now the reason I wanted to use gssapi is because it mentions the use of
authz-regexp to map the authentication DN from the gssapi dn to a dn
existing in the directory unless I am misunderstanding.

When I issue an ldapwhoami, I get the following.
dn: uid=joe_montana,dc=gssapi,dc=auth ......

But an ldapwhoami should map to.
uid=jmontana,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com ........

For logging in can cyrus-sasl-gssapi help me accomplish this? Or is it
more for service principals? Trying to understand.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
James