CyrusSASL 2.1.22 + Postfix 2.5 + Outlook 2007

rgonzalez at gnt.cc rgonzalez at gnt.cc
Tue Aug 12 19:28:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a setup with cyrus-sasl 2.1.22, postfix 2.5.2, mysql 5.0 and
clients Outlook 2007.

I applied this patch to cyrus-sasl sources:

http://asg.andrew.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&msg=8802

I compiled cyrus-sasl with:

--disable-ntlm (I'm not using NTLM, my passwords are encrypted with
crypt+md5 and stored in a MySQL db)
--enable-login
--enable-plain

(full configure can be posted if needed)

I compiled postfix to include SASL and SSL support.

Every client but Outlook 2007 works fine. Outlook 2007 fails. I learned
that this is caused because it tries to login with NTLM (which I don't
support) and fails, and then it doesn't try LOGIN nor PLAIN. Funny enough,
version 12.0.4518.1014 works fine in a similar setup where the usernames
are just the login, without @domain, but the same version fails if the
username es login at domain, which is my first setup. More updated versions,
including Office Service Pack 1, always fail.

This is kind of annoying, and customers think this is a server problem and
not an Outlook thing.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation?

Thank you,
Rodolfo.