No SQL module found

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Tue Oct 23 10:04:21 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 02:27:37PM +0200, Florian Lindner wrote:

> The problem appears to be if smtpd is chrooted sasl is too. The second
> document describes how to use saslauthd with a chrooted postfix. But that
> doesn't apply on my case since I don't use saslauthd. It should be mentioned
> somewhere that using sasl with the sql plugins and a chrooted smtpd can make
> you run into problems. Probably because sasl can't access the mysql socket.
> (though the config option sql_hostnames: localhost somehow implies that sasl
> is using the lo network to access mysql...)
>
> I have also heard several times that running postfix chrooted is discourages
> from upstream and brings more troubles that it resolves.

This last statement is really what it boils down to.  Running a chrooted
postfix in anything but the simplest configuration is asking for
trouble.

I managed to get it working on some servers some time ago, but gave up
on it.  Anytime I have to setup Postfix, i just unchroot it.  Besides,
if security is your concern, things like Xen and other virtualzation
technologies have made it close to trivial to dedicate a machine just to
running Postfix.

Regards,

-Roberto
--