os x (client) - saslpasswd2: Couldn't update db

Jeff Denham jeff at tgmag.ca
Tue Nov 13 15:20:51 EST 2007

Had a real tough time getting this installed ..  Please don't ask why, but
I am forced to use OS X at all, let alone the client version... bit of a
nightmarish situation.

Installing from darwinports was the easiest method.. everything appeared
to be working fine,  the .db was updating when I added new users, but I
couldn't authenticate from cyradm and I was seeing "saslpasswd2: Couldn't
update db"  in the logs.

Anyway,  after banging my head against my desk for a while I figured out
that for whatever reason,  it seems you MUST set a proper hostname. do NOT
leave it at the os x default.

Here's hoping this shows up in archives and saves some other poor soul
some time.

jeff d.