SASL and OpenLDAP with SSL - PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!

Mihai Barbos mihai.barbos at eurospider.com
Thu Jul 5 12:51:47 EDT 2007

Guus Leeuw jr. wrote:

>> The problem though was a LOT more trivial. The SSL certificate
>> verification of the ^&%^* saslauthd is simply wrong. It looks like it compares
>> the ldap server STRING FROM THE CONFIGURATION FILE WITH THE DN FROM THE
>> CERTIFICATE.
>
> Which is *totally* expected.
>
> Remember: certificates are to announce trust much like a passport: If you show
> the border control a passport that shows your wife's face, you will run into
> problems. So if a certificate says "I am host x.y.z" and the *checking*
> software is expecting "I am host x" there cannot be trust established.
>
>> So, if you have:
>> ldap_servers: ldap://gogoserver
>> in saslauthd.conf (or however you name it) an the certificate has been issued
>> to  gogoserver.gogoland.net (as it is normal) the verification fails and
>> saslauthd bails out. Not to mention that the same happens if you use the IP or
>> a CNAME.
>
> Great. At least saslauthd seems to work!
>
>> Mihai

IMHO this is wrong. The check is supposed to be between the certificate
and the name *it* gave me, not between the certificate and the name *I*
say, because it should be about trusting is identity, not my
assumptions. If it is the one I have asked for is a different problem.
But I might be wrong.

Anyway the problem here is that the debugging facilities of saslauthd
are close to none, so simple problems like this one can become pretty
annoying.