Windows Interop

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Sat Jan 13 04:18:44 EST 2007

Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> I have no interest in long-term maintenance;  that's not how *I* make
> my living.  Whatever I do should be stable enough to survive without
> me.  That means its dependencies need to be on things that are stable,
> and actively supported elsewhere.  "Support" for me, means someone
> else will support it if I build it and walk away.

Sure. Likewise, my interest is in creating something stable enough that
requires as little of my time supporting it as possible. Putting
together a build that was actually sanely configured is a big part of
achieving that.

> I'm not sure if any of this directly addresses the question of how to
> provide SASL support on Windows.  I can't see PostgreSQL being happy
> adding a capability that doesn't work on Windows.  If someone were
> willing to build against KfW, then they could build the existing Krb5
> support on Windows.  PostgreSQL already has a rich selection of
> authentication methods, so their incremental gain isn't what you might
> expect from adoption of SASL.
>
> My specific motivation is to provide an auth method that supports
> Kerberos in the Java client.  I would still get that, but it's looking
> like I don't get as much beyond that as I hoped for.

Why doesn't that already work?  Sorry if I missed something obvious, but
doesn't Java's GSS already give you Kerberos support using the native
Windows ticket cache?

--
  -- Howard Chu