Windows Interop

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 12 00:41:40 EST 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Kai Blin wrote:

> On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:42, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> Windows does have a SASL API.  It's layered on top of the SSPI, and
>> msdn documents the calls themselves.  I would assume that they work,
>> at least for email clients.
>
> Are there any apps out there that use this at all? As far as I can
> tell, SSPI
> itself is only used by a handful of applications. The SASL api
> seems to be
> quite new, and used on server platforms only.

No fair, I was asking you that!! ;-)

Can you even tell from the doc's if it's a client or server API?  As
to the SSPI, I thought that IE/IIS use it.

>> Anybody got any information or examples or pointers at all on using
>> the Windows API?  I don't find anything google'ing for the routine
>> names, except people as confused as we are.
>
> If you can point me at a Windows app using this, I'll look at
> implementing
> this API in Wine. I'll be able to tell you a lot about it afterwards.
>
> Cheers,
> Kai

Have you seen any email apps that use the API?  That's the use I
would expect.

-----

BTW, the API I'm talking about is at <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-
us/library/aa374731.aspx#sasl_functions>.
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu