How to cvs checkout SASL

Roberto C. Sanchez roberto at connexer.com
Wed Feb 21 16:43:29 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:04:31PM -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
> Yes, but there's a difference between a developer and a package
> maintainer. Since the configure script depends on specific versions of
> the autotools, and the requirements differ for different packages, the
> package maintainers ought to create these files and keep them with the
> rest of the source code. As it is I have to maintain 5 different
> versions of autoconf on my machine because of dependencies of this sort.
>
> Likewise, if a source tree uses automake, then a usable set of
> Makefile.in files with maintainer-mode disabled should be part of CVS,
> because independent developers don't need their Makefiles
> auto-regenerating at the drop of a hat, particularly because the
> regeneration will look for tools whose versions may not match those on
> the build machine. Omitting these details is a good way to frustrate
> developers and keep away people who would otherwise be productively
> contributing to the project.

You bring up good points.  However, I still maintain, that it is better
to not keep those things in revision control.  Given the wide target
audience, of courier (in terms of platforms and such), it might make
sense to keep the minimally needed set in revision control.

Of course, you could also argue that people who are scared off by having
to generate their own scripts should wait for public releases :-)

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez