How to cvs checkout SASL

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Wed Feb 21 02:04:31 EST 2007

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 10:53:54PM -0800, Biswatosh wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When do u plan to make CVS-Version of SASL user ready?
>>

> The configure script is an autogenerated file and thus should not be
> kept under version control.  CVS is supposed to be developer ready, not
> user ready.

Yes, but there's a difference between a developer and a package
maintainer. Since the configure script depends on specific versions of
the autotools, and the requirements differ for different packages, the
package maintainers ought to create these files and keep them with the
rest of the source code. As it is I have to maintain 5 different
versions of autoconf on my machine because of dependencies of this sort.

Likewise, if a source tree uses automake, then a usable set of
Makefile.in files with maintainer-mode disabled should be part of CVS,
because independent developers don't need their Makefiles
auto-regenerating at the drop of a hat, particularly because the
regeneration will look for tools whose versions may not match those on
the build machine. Omitting these details is a good way to frustrate
developers and keep away people who would otherwise be productively
contributing to the project.

--
  -- Howard Chu