SASL ,HP-UX and dynamic loaders

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Wed Oct 25 15:12:10 EDT 2006

Biswatosh wrote:
> Ok. But what is the reason for still keeping shl_load
> and unloads? Is it to support some old HP-UX platforms
> when they didnt have dl* functions? Otherwise,we could
> simply do away with these sh* functions,is not it?
>
> --Biswatosh

Right, HPUX systems older than 11.00 only have shl_load, and on 11.00
dlopen was only available with a patch so not all 11.00 systems have it
either.

It seems to me that changing this in the Cyrus source tree would be a
lot of work since you would also have to change the libtool script to
use appropriate linker flags to accompany the change. It might be better
to just rip out all of the dlopen support from the SASL code and use
libtool's libltdl instead. Likewise, your other app ought to be using
libltdl and not calling dlopen directly; it's just too much of a gamble
to depend on it being there.

--
  -- Howard Chu