SASL ,HP-UX and dynamic loaders

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Wed Oct 25 08:45:16 EDT 2006

Biswatosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In dlopen.c, we have dlopen() as wrapper on
> shl_load(),
> dlclose() on shl_unload() etc. Any reason for that?
> Today,in HP-UX,we can directly use dlopen() and all.
>
> The reason I am asking is, one of my clients is
> complaining
> that symbol relocation is happening because of this.
> dl* functions (which he calls), which should be loaded
> from libdld.sl are rather being used from sasl
> library.

In my experience HPUX's dlopen is still rather buggy. Other projects
have reported the same, e.g.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=104396627316847&w=2

Still, a configure switch to explicitly choose dlopen instead of
shl_load may not be a bad idea, for people who absolutely have to have
it. It's probably safer than mixing shl_load and dlopen in the same process.

--
  -- Howard Chu