SAL authentication failures with SAL

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Nov 18 15:52:16 EST 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 15:10, Jason Dixon wrote:

> >> That was my thought as well.  If this is the case, then how does
> >> dovecot-sasl authenticate successfully?
> >
> > You can store the passwords in encrypted format if you limit the
> > mechanisms to those that can use the encrypted data.  Search the
> > archives for examples.
> >
> > What you really need to do is enable "verbose" in your
> > application.conf file so that you can see the syslog of each
> > query.  This will explain everything.
>
> I've already enabled sql_verbose in smtpd.conf, but it seems to have
> no effect.

I think you need to set this in the ../postfix/main.cf file:

	smtp_tls_loglevel = 3

In my /usr/local/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf file I had:

	log-level: 4

but it was not working either until I made the change. This is on a
FreeBSD-6.1 system, so YMMV.

BTW, I see you got a hit on the Postfix forum. You might be able to change
how you are authenticating, but I am not sure. I use Saslauthd and that
does not allow MD5 encryption.

--
Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net

Things are more like they are today than they ever were before.

	Dwight Eisenhower