Crash in unloading in HP-UX while calling dlclose()

Biswatosh biswatosh2001 at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 23:02:16 EDT 2006

Hi Alexei,

One of my folks is getting a crash in dlclose() on
HP-UX.
When I see the code for dlopen() and dlclose()
functions in dlopen.c for HP-UX, I get the following
doubts.

My doubts are:

1) In function dlopen(), why can't we simply call
shl_load() and return?
Why we are defining a shl_t *hp ? And, what we are
trying to do by typecasting
hp to dll_handle and returning that? dll_handle is of
type shl_t whereas hp is of type
shl_t*(which is therefore a double pointer).

2)The reporter of the crash smells problem in the line
return shl_unload(h) in dlclose().
He suggests, it should be rather shl_unload(hp).What
do you guys think?  But anyway, I am not getting why
in dlclose(), simply calling shl_unload(h) won't do.
Any comments?

Thanks
Biswatosh