random login failures

Dean Montgomery dmonty at sd73.bc.ca
Tue May 16 19:21:48 EDT 2006

I've searched this mailing list for an hour or so and did not find a solution
to the following problem....

We are having random login failures with our cyrus saslauthd.

When logging into squirrelmail it will start to load the page then kick us
out.  Log in again and it works fine.  For the most part it works fine but
every once in a while it fails.

/var/log/auth.log shows the following when it fails:
===
May 16 15:22:48 webmail saslauthd[14377]: Authentication failed for dmonty:
Bind to ldap server failed (invalid user/password or insufficient access)
(-7)
May 16 15:22:48 webmail saslauthd[14377]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=dmonty] [service=imap] [realm=] [mech=ldap] [reason=Unknown]
===

This is common to all users, the browser form saves the password so it is not
a user typo.  I've seen the error with the cookies/cache deleted and with
cookies/cache not deleted.

We are connecting to an ibm websphere ldap server.

====
root at mail:# cat /etc/saslauthd.conf
ldap_servers: ldap://xxx.xxx.xxx:389/
ldap_search_base: cn=users,dc=sd73,dc=bc,dc=ca
ldap_bind_dn: uid=xxx,cn=users,dc=sd73,dc=bc,dc=ca
ldap_bind_pw: xxxx
====
sensitive data removed from email (xxx).

Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips to fix this problem?

--
Dean Montgomery
Network Support Tech./Programmer