FreeBSD & Postfix & Cyrus SASL & Courier Authdaemond

Richard Secor rsecor at seqlogic.com
Thu Mar 2 10:14:08 EST 2006

 From system logs:
warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to Courier
authdaemond: Permission denied

System Software Information:
FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE
Postfix 2.2.9 (postfix-2.2.9.tar.gz)
Courier Authlib 0.58 (courier-authlib-0.58.tar.bz2)
Cyrus SASL 2.1.21 (cyrus-sasl-2.1.21.tar.gz)

Goal:
Get Cyrus SASL to work with Courier Authlib (authdaemond).

# cat /usr/local/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
pwcheck_method: authdaemond auxprop
log_level: 3
mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
authdaemond_path: /usr/local/var/spool/authdaemon/socket
auxprop_plugin: sql
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: localhost
sql_user: sql_user
sql_password: sql_password
sql_database: sql_database
sql_verbose: true
sql_select: sql_select

# ls -l /usr/local/var/spool |grep authdaemon
drwxr-x---  2 postfix  postfix  512 Mar  1 01:42 authdaemon

# ls -l /usr/local/var/spool/authdaemon/socket
srwxrwxrwx  1 root  postfix  0 Mar  1 01:42 /usr/local/var/spool/
authdaemon/socket

What I've tried:
Changing permissions on /usr/local/var/spool/authdaemon. (Even tried
777.)
Getting "auxprop" with "sql" working in lieu of "authdaemond".
(However this doesn't look like it will work unless I run "saslauthd"
as well, which I understand I don't need to run to get everything
working with "authdaemond".)

Looked for answers on:
This lists archive, google/yahoo/etc, google (dejanews), etc.
However, it seems everything there is on the subject never came to a
conclusion. In fact I can't find anyone who has actually claimed to
get SASL & authdaemond to work together.

Additional information available upon request.
Unlike others I will not give up on this until it works or I'm told
that it never worked to begin with and has to be patched.

Thanks in advance,
-Rich