Problem with SASL authentication with IMAP

Tony Stocker akostocker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 13:26:41 EDT 2006

Hello,
I've also posted this help request to the Courier IMAP board since I'm not
sure exactly where the problem is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to set up SASL authentication, and can't seem to connect or pass
the correct credentials to the IMAP server.  I can't find any IMAP logs
either to figure out if it's even seeing the connections.

I'm using Cyrus-SASL and Courier IMAP.  Right now I'm just using the Cyrus
sample server and client programs.  Here's the outputs:

CLIENT:
/usr/bin/sasl2-sample-client -s rcmd -p 15000 -m PLAIN 127.0.0.1
receiving capability list... recv: {11}
PLAIN LOGIN
PLAIN LOGIN
please enter an authentication id:
please enter an authorization id: tony.stocker
Password:
send: {5}
PLAIN
send: {1}
send: {34}
tony.stocker[0]tony.stocker[0]bbbbbbbb
authentication failed
closing connection

SERVER:
/usr/bin/sasl2-sample-server -s rcmd -p 15000
trying 10, 1, 6
trying 2, 1, 6
accepted new connection
send: {11}
PLAIN LOGIN
recv: {5}
PLAIN
recv: {1}
recv: {34}
tony.stocker[0]tony.stocker[0]bbbbbbbb
starting SASL negotiation: authentication failureclosing connection

/VAR/LOG/AUTH:
Jul 14 16:58:24 mail saslauthd[1703]: do_auth         : auth failure: [user=
tony.stocker] [service=rcmd] [realm=] [mech=rimap] [reason=remote server
rejected your credentials]
Jul 14 16:58:24 mail sasl2-sample-server: Password verification failed

My IMAP server works great for checking mail and the like, so I know that it
works in general.  I need to setup the SASL stuff to use the IMAP database
so that remote users can then use the mail server for SMTP relaying after
authenticating themselves.  I'm using authuserdb as the IMAP authentication
method, so there is no other DBMS in the loop here.  I can use any mail
client and the user id "tony.stocker" and password "bbbbbbbb" to check my
mail, so I know that the password is correct.

Any ideas?