SASL2, sendmail, pam, auth failed

Eric Ewanco eje at ewanco.com
Fri Jul 14 11:25:14 EDT 2006

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Eric Ewanco schrieb:
>
>> Try a lowercase a.
>>
> If I may ask: why (how should that help out)?

Because I had a similar problem to yours and it worked for me.  I found
a page instructing me on how to configure SASL and Sendmail and it
showed using options a, y, and p, instead of the A, y, and p I had.  So
I switched it, and it worked.

Here are the two documented settings:

    Use the AUTH= parameter for the MAIL FROM command only when
    authentication succeeded.
    protection from active (non-dictionary) attacks during
    authentication exchange.

Frankly I don't understand how either of this affect the success or
failure of authentication.  A looks like it is only applicable for
outgoing mail, whereas we're concerned about incoming mail.  The
definition of 'a' seems a bit vague; what does this protection involve?
But this does pertain to the authentication exchange, so theoretically
it could affect its success or failure.

Eric

--
# __   __                    Eric Ewanco
# IC | XC                   eje at ewanco.com
# ---+---            http://www.ewanco.com/~eje
# NI | KA                Shrewsbury, MA; USA