evil build problems with cyrus-sasl-2.1.21

Bernard Leak bernard at brenda-arkle.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 14:10:12 EDT 2006

Dear List,
                   Dan Nicholson asked:

> Could you take a look at version 2.1.22 that's been out for a few
> months? I'm curious if this hasn't already been fixed.

I'm not quite sure how I missed 2.1.22 when I was looking for sources...
but no, the problem is still there, though it has been disentangled from
a few others.  I'm fairly sure that it only affects builds with
--enable-static.
Here's my 'configure' invocation:

            ../cyrus-sasl-2.1.22/configure --prefix=/usr \
                --libexecdir=/usr/lib/sasl-2.1.22 \
                --sysconfdir=/etc \
                --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man \
                --enable-sample \
                --enable-static \
                --enable-java \
                --enable-sql \
                --with-gnu-ld \
                --with-dbpath=/var/lib/sasl/sasldb2 \
                --with-devrandom \
                --with-pam \
                --enable-gssapi \
                --with-javabase=/opt/java/jdk/include \
                --with-dblib=berkeley \
                --with-saslauthd=/var/run \
                --with-openssl \
                --with-gss_impl=mit \
                --with-ldap \
                --without-mysql \
                --without-pgsql \
                --with-sqlite \
                --with-plugindir=/usr/lib/sasl-2.1.22 \
                'LDFLAGS=-lsasl2' \
                'CFLAGS=-Wall -pedantic -march=pentium4 -O2' \
                'CXXFLAGS=-Wall -pedantic -march=pentium4 -O2'

A few of the early directory options may be redundant or
without effect: in general, though, options are specified only
when I don't like the default.

For some reason my aclocal set-up seems broken (odd, this is
the first I've heard of it).  All my aclocal copies (1.7.2, 1.7.9,
1.9.6, all freshly built) say

macro `AM_DISABLE_STATIC' not  found in library

Has anyone else seen this?  Is it just me?  Using exactly
automake-1.7.2 allows me to use the existing aclocal
definitions: I can run automake and autoconf to accommodate
the changes I've made with no problems.  However, there is
still the profound ugliness of hacking aclocal.m4, which
ought not to happen.  Help getting this to work properly
would be welcome!

2.1.22 has a problem which I didn't see in 2.1.21, though it
is similar to the other one.  The pluginviewer can't
(always) be built, because there's a missing dependency
on auxprop.o .  The attached patch deals with this too.
I am not sure, however, that the pluginviewer changes are
wholly clean and reliable.  Firstly, the new dependency may
be conditional (I haven't checked).  Also, it has made an
old declared dependency to disappear, though nothing
seems to break.  cyrus-sasl-2.1.22/utils/Makefile.am now has
an explicit line defining

pluginviewer_DEPENDENCIES = ../lib/auxprop.o

which propagates unchanged into Makefile.in .
Formerly it appeared automagically in Makefile.in as

pluginviewer_DEPENDENCIES = ../lib/libsasl2.la

One could not previously start a clean build by diving into
the 'utils' directory and building 'pluginviewer' alone.
I may or may not have broken something which previously
worked.  I don't even know whether libsasl2.la is really
needed here!  Maybe it should simply be added in to the
pluginviewer_DEPENDENCIES line?  I'd rather pick it up
by the same automatic process as before, whatever it
was.

The other differences between the old automake
output and the new automake output are tedious stuff
arising from the use of a different and later autoconf.
They shouldn't matter.

                                       Bernard Leak.