external mailbox

squirrel at fwconsult.com squirrel at fwconsult.com
Tue Aug 8 22:10:10 EDT 2006

Hi,

You need to install a Mail Transport Agent (aka MTA) There are several options

		Exim
		Postfix
		qmail
		sendmail

I very much like "exim" it is very flexible and no nonsense. (I have
administered systems with sendmail, qmail and mixed MTA before)

Before you start, think about what you want your MTA to handle. Multiple
domains? Virtual Users?  Relaying?

I very recently changed my home server from a straightforward exim to one with
an LDAP backend. This enables me to handle several domain and not give
my "virtual users" access to the host machine while my "real" users still
have.  Very convenient.... but not trivial to setup.

Cheers,
	François