auth-plain numeric password fails

Artur apml at owl.energa.pl
Fri Sep 23 03:27:19 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I'm new subscriber of this list. I think I've noticed something
interesting but I.m not sure if it is new for you. I also don't know if it
is local problem on my machine/installation or global problem. OK, so now
what I have found interesting. When authorizing using cyrus-sasl with
postfix (maybe other MTA too) authorization fails with method auth-plain
but works ok with auth-login when password begin with digit. I've tested
passwords like '123' and '1aaaa2'. I generated passwords with commands:
for auth login:
printf 'test'|mimencode
printf '123'|mimencode
for auth plain:
printf 'test\0test\0123'|mimencode

I think that it can be a problem with encoding also. Anyway,
authentication fails with auth plain when after \0 is digit.

regards,
Artur