Solaris 8 and Cyrus compilation revisited...

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Wed Sep 7 12:47:40 EDT 2005

OK, I have grepped my symptoms off of the net and searched through the
mailing list for the solution to the problem, and I have tried a bunch of
the suggestions to no avail...

Here's what I have done:

I haved attempted to apply the patch in
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&msg=31
44, but the patch program errors out.

Running gcc version 3.2.1.
Using the cyrus-sasl-2.1.21 code.
export LDFLAGS=-R/usr/local/ssl
export LIBS=-lsocket -lnsl

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man --with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl
--with-lib-subdir=/usr/lib --enable-login
	-- I have also tried --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl, no
difference.
	-- Please see the attached configure output.txt file for the full
list of messages.
	-- The main error that I am concerned with is the "configure:
WARNING: OpenSSL not found -- OTP will be disabled" and "configure: WARNING:
OpenSSL not found -- SRP will be disabled" errors... Are they even
important???

Make produces the following errors (please see the attached make output.txt
file for the full list of messages):
digestmd5.c: In function `init_des':
digestmd5.c:1042: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
digestmd5.c:1047: `des_cblock' undeclared (first use in this function)
digestmd5.c:1047: parse error before ')' token
digestmd5.c:1049: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
digestmd5.c:1054: increment of pointer to unknown structure
digestmd5.c:1054: arithmetic on pointer to an incomplete type
digestmd5.c:1056: parse error before ')' token
digestmd5.c:1058: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[2]: *** [digestmd5.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cust/admin/source/cyrus-sasl-2.1.21/plugins'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cust/admin/source/cyrus-sasl-2.1.21'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is there a simple fix that will allow this program to compile on
Solaris??!!??  I have successfully compiled and configured on RedHat 8
following the instructions at http://www.jonfullmer.com/smtpauth/.  It would
be nice if there were a few notes or hints about compiling this on Solaris
in the docs files.  I found one reference about a bug failing to link
libraries and a url to bugzilla, but that was totally unhelpful.

Can anyone give a definitive answer to this?  It looks like lots of people
have tried, but I haven't seen anyone post that they were successful
compiling this on a production Solaris box.

TIA for any help that can be given!!!

Alex