SASL + Postfix strangeness

Michael Laccetti michael at s2g-limited.com
Sun Oct 2 19:11:03 EDT 2005

I'm busy trying to setup a Postfix server that uses SASL to authenticate users
against a MySQL database.  Postfix is configured properly, and I believe that
SASL is as well.

My smtpd.conf file:
log_level: 3
pwcheck_method: auxprop
mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
auxprop_plugin: sql
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: localhost
sql_database: postfix
sql_user: postfix
sql_passwd: ------------
sql_select: SELECT userPass FROM users WHERE username='%u' AND userrealm='%r'
AND auth='1'
sql_usessl: no

Whenever I attempt to authenticate myself, Postfix outputs the following:
warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed.  So, I went
and checked the auth logs.  And that's when I noticed something strange.  The
sql_select statement is being populated in a strange manner.  Here is a sample:
sql plugin doing query SELECT userPassword FROM users WHERE
username='mail.example.com' AND userrealm='mail.codeogre.com' AND auth='1';

Apparently %u is being replaced with the realm, and not the username.  How is
that possible?  Any ideas as to fixing this?

Thanks,

Mike

--
------------------------ [ SECURITY NOTICE ]
------------------------
For your security, michael at s2g-limited.com
digitally signed this message on 02 October 2005 at 23:08:55 UTC.
Verify this digital signature at http://www.ciphire.com/verify.
------------------- [ CIPHIRE DIGITAL SIGNATURE ]
Q2lwaGlyZSBTaWcuAjhjeXJ1cy1zYXNsQGxpc3RzLmFuZHJldy5jbXUuZWR1AG1pY2hhZ
WxAczJnLWxpbWl0ZWQuY29tAGVtYWlsIGJvZHkApgMAAHwAfAAAAAEAAACHaEBDpgMAAJ
gCAAIAAgACACCF2JwL8FSZ12JHjaqi4keWch0Su1tLYkwGHFe6dbl/JgEAMU5HZi3bbCG
zHuBROgacg8f7vXlTdFsqED3Fgplg8g86AyzSSCrezcdYN/Pa1wbos3cOcNRj7EJrbjV5
vyZANi0TGCZRU2lnRW5k