About search for plugins

Biswatosh biswatosh2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 00:17:12 EST 2005

Hi Guys
            Sorry for bothering you again but an issue
has come for which I would really be helped
by getting your opinion on that.

Some guys using SASL have mentioned a problem they
often find while linking to libsasl. They dont want to
set any env. variable,like LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
SASL_PATH but still want that SASL should not say that
such and such valid mechanism(like digestmd5) is not
available. Now,as they dont set any env variable,the
value of PLUGINDIR is taken by SASL lib and from that
the list of mechanisms are created. But ,they are
saying that ,even it should not depend on the value of
PLUGINDIR only. They may keep the libs of
SASL(libsasl.so,libdigestmd5.so) somewhere else as
well.
I exchanged a few mails with them and it seems the
idea they have is why dont we use the features of
RUNPATH and $ORIGIN while buliding the libs?

Now,here is where I am in doubt and require your help.
My doubt is, RPATH and $ORIGIN can only help the
linker to find the .sos libs of SASL
but how can the list of all available mechanism be
built? My understanding is that ,sasl_client and
sasl_server ,both are given as inputs the folders
where the mechhanism exist and from there they both
construct the list of available mechanisms and the
server sends the list to the client and the client
sees which ones are available with it and from it the
best one is chosen.
Now,how can this activity be helped without knowing
where exactly the plugin libs are existing? Is it not
a very important feature of SASL to
exchange the list of mechs and wonder how this
activity can be done at all if we do away with all env
vars and PLUGINDIR as well?

It is not an issue of not being able to link to the
.sos which will create the problem(this issue can be
solved by RPATH and all)
but the the issue is about the creation of mechanism
list on both sides,
is not it?

Thanks

Biswatosh