Mechanism plugin development

Artem Harutyunyan hartem at mail.yerphi.am
Sat Nov 19 08:57:09 EST 2005

Hi,

> Artem Harutyunyan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am going to implement a new mechanism plugin for Cyrus SASL.
> > I have read  SASL Application Programmer's and Plugin Programmer's
> > guides and I'd be very thankful if you provided me with the additional
> > information (links, docs, sources, advices will be highly appreciated)
> > about SASL plugin development.
>
> Unfortunately, the best docs are the source itself.  I'd recommend
> looking at the PLAIN plugin and use it as a template.  If your plugin
> will have a security layer, then look at the DIGEST-MD5 plugin.

Thanks for advices.

> BTW, what mechanism are you writing a plugin for?

I am working on the project which is called AliEn (alien.cern.ch). It is
aimed at the creation of the Grid computing environment for CERN
(www.cern.ch) ALICE (aliceinfo.cern.ch) experiment. AliEn users have
2 ways of authentication: 1. using X509 certificates, 2. using
SSH keys. Internally AliEn also uses another authentication
mechanism which is based on string tokens. AliEn is written in Perl and it uses
SASL for authentication. AliEn developers have extended Authen::SASL
(www.cpan.org) perl module and developed plugins (to support
authentication based on X509  certificates, SSH keys and string tokens)
for it. My task is to create Cyrus SASL plugins for all three mechanisms.

Artem.