How to have postfix use saslauthd and pam?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:00:20 EST 2005

What's the right syntax to have postfix use saslauthd (and then on to pam)
do authentication?

I can't for the life of me figure out what's the right combination to make
it work.

I'm using these versions (the latest of each)
    pam_mysql 0.7pre3,
    postfix-2.2.5,
    cyrus-sasl-2.1.21, cyrus-imap-2.1.12,
    mysaql-4.1.12,
    centos-4.2 (rhel4)

And clarify for me the purpose of using saslauthd and pam.

I realize this is just as much a postfix question as it is sasl, but I have
to start somewhere.

What's better here, to use saslauthd to handle them or use sql directly?

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney