username password validated by external (web-)module e.g. via http

Ralf Hauser ralfhauser at gmx.ch
Fri Aug 19 14:49:25 EDT 2005

Hi,

Just got the hint to ask the question here:

So far, I am using exim as an MTA where I can configure it to post the
username/password string pair to a tomcat web-app that executes a
complicated authentication method.

Now I am asked to use the postfix MTA instead of exim, but with the same
external method to determine whether a password was good or not.
Some postfix users have suggested to me to use the SASL to do this, or more
specifically the "saslauthd" in a custom configuration/enhancement.

Therefore my question, has anybody configured (and probably written a minor
enhancement) that can do something like

   /usr/bin/GET https://localhost:8443/pcCheck.do?username=me&pw=mySecretPw

and subsequently interpret a boolean answer? (or a string "PASS" vs.
"FAIL")?

If so, I would be very appreciative of examples or any hints!

Regards

     Ralf