minutes, cyrus call, 2020-10-12

Ricardo Signes rjbs at fastmailteam.com
Mon Oct 12 09:44:06 EDT 2020

Largely unedited, here are the minutes from this morning's dev call:

 * murch
   * discussion of expanded header search semantics (prefix/suffix/substr match)
     * it's unclear whether we need or want this, given the yet unknown cost v. complexity v. benefit ratios
     * This isn't Xapian related at all, we'll be processing fields from the cyrus.cache.
   * Discuss replication of JMAPSieve script ids
     * Given our current replication protocol, SieveScript object ids will not replicate. *Does this matter?* (This is: replicas will have the same script with a different id.)
     * First: *does* it get replicated? We need to double-check that it doesn't, but consensus seems to be that it isn't replicated.
     * We should fix it, if it isn't replicated, but we don't really *care* as far as Fastmail operation is concerned. It won't affect user-visible behavior.
   * Discuss expectations of cyr_ls
     * always use unixhierarchysep?
     * let's use admin namespace
     * (we have other tools that use internal ns, it's been a pain, and we're fixing it as we go)
   * fixed cross-domain searching (new term added to Xapian)
   * still waiting on CR for 8bit characters in C-D
 * ellie
   * PR #3166 contains code from OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD and FreeBSD's top(1) utilities (for turning process state flags into human-readable strings). Can we accept this? — We think so.
   * we should be expecting lots of small MRs for xsyslog conversions
 * rjbs
   * we're working on cyrus ML conversion; waiting on Dave
 * brong
   * locking! conversationsdb has locking problems, annotations are "a whole locking nightmare"
   * there's a lock inversion between JMAP and other calls in the locking of convdb vs. mailboxes
   * we can change how convdb locking works internally so you can take/release a lock without closing the entire db, add a user lock, then we're done!(?)
   * …but it's a bunch of work, and that will be Bron's next project for Cyrus
   * but this week is CalConnect week

--
Ricardo Signes (rjbs)
CTO, Fastmail