When is imapproxy usefull?

Nic Bernstein nic at nicbernstein.com
Mon Mar 9 13:19:31 EDT 2020

Dilyan,
In my own experience, an IMAP proxy is helpfulfor webmail clients, in
that the proxy can maintain a persistent connection to the IMAP server,
thus saving the time & CPU cycles which would otherwise go in to
bringing up and tearing down the TCP/IP sessions.  This isespecially
important for web clients which are using frames (like SquirrelMail) or
would otherwise spawn multiple connections to the IMAP server.

The best performance may be had by placing the proxy on the web server,
so the bulk of the connections can happen via Unix sockets, or localhost
TCP/IP connections.  Then just a handful of IMAP connections happen
between the web and IMAP servers.

I've used the old imapproxyd, as well as Perdition, for this.  I have
not tried nginx, so cannot speak to that.

I hope this is useful information,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                               nic at nicbernstein.com
mobile: +1 414 807 1734
snail: 1111 N Astor St Apt A5, Milwaukee, WI  53202-3319
https://www.nicbernstein.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nic-b-26577a178/