moving the Cyrus mailing lists?

Ricardo Signes rjbs at fastmailteam.com
Tue Jan 14 12:27:02 EST 2020

This morning, I updated a bunch of my Sieve to split out some mailing list mail, and remembered that I've been meaning to float the idea of moving Cyrus's development lists.

Right now, the Cyrus lists are hosted at lists.andrew.cmu.edu. My understanding is that CMU is no longer involved with Cyrus development, but we've got assurances that these lists will keep working indefinitely. So: I don't think we *need* to do anything.

Fastmail is deeply committed to Cyrus IMAP, and we have a mailing list product (Topicbox) that I think is really good, with great search (powered by Cyrus + Xapian), a great web UI for both public archives and composing mail, and it still does all the things you'd expect from mailing lists: accepts mail via SMTP, has a moderation queue, and so on.

You can see an example open source project hosted on Topicbox here: https://illumos.topicbox.com/ <https://illumos.topicbox.com/latest>

So, consider this an offer. I'll set up a gratis Topicbox organization for hosting the Cyrus lists and we'll import past mail from the lists into the organization and, if we can get the subscriber lists, transfer subscribers. For me, the benefits are having an easier-to-search archive and living without fear that the list might go away. Obviously, I'm also a Fastmail employee, and I'm happy to show off Topicbox, too.

I'll wait a while to hear general interest in the idea before doing anything else.

--
Ricardo Signes (rjbs)
CTO, Fastmail