time for cyrus-imap v3.2?

Anatoli me at anatoli.ws
Wed Nov 13 01:06:22 EST 2019

> Given that Cyrus is unix processes, not threads, what mechanism are
> you proposing for the atomic here?

__atomic_load/store and __atomic_fetch_add/sub:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/_005f_005fatomic-Builtins.html. These
are not related to threads or processes, these are compiler built-ins
that leverage processor-specific instructions like CAS
(compare-and-swap). The compiler knows which instructions to use for
each arch. More info here: https://lwn.net/Articles/509102/. Clang/LLVM
also has similar built-ins: https://libcxx.llvm.org/atomic_design_a.html.

So instead of using some old POSIX synchro primitives, we go one level
lower and implement them ourselves in opportunistic lock-free way with
compiler built-ins. The built-ins are basically inline asm
implementation abstractions available for all archs supported by the
compiler.

> I'd be keen to see something shaped like a pull request against Cyrus
> showing how this would interact with the existing locking
> architecture.

The issue is I don't know the internals of cyrus enough to be able to
identify all the places where write operations occur and I don't have
enough understanding of the entire sync/write logic to be able to
provide a working solution. But once the write operations are
encapsulated in separate functions and there's a list of all of them, I
could implement the efficient global locking and the backup tool that
would leverage it.

Regards,
Anatoli