segfaults with cyrus-imapd 3.0.9 on latest arch linux

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 20 12:11:01 EDT 2019

Hi Andreas -

Jakob has already updated the AUR package, which appears to have
resolved this issue.  The related upstream bug is #2629.

Regarding the dependencies in the cyrus-imapd PKGBUILD.  I recommend
starting with Jakob's PKGBUILD and just stripping out the stuff you
don't need.  I've spent so much time looking at it at this point, if you
tell me what you don't want, I can probably post a PKGBUILD that works
for your requirements.

In any case, please try cyrus-imapd 3.0.9-2 and let me know if this
resolves the issue for you, too.

Here is an explanation (provided by the AUR package maintainer) of the
purpose of the various dependencies he's included (also the ones listed
as requirements which he did not include).  We had pre-agreed that there
is no harm in compiling in all the authentication hooks and
CalDAV/CalCard dependencies.  Without the authentication hooks, the
package isn't really general purpose.

- gperf seems to be useful for development only (maintainer mode)
- libbsd is only required for krb5afspts which is disabled (because IIRC
it looks for static libraries which Arch doesn’t package)
- ICU: This seems to be genuinely missing, though as you noticed it is
already required indirectly. It is probably still a good idea to make
that dependency explicit. But since it’s a relatively minor problem I’ll
wait to see if anything else comes up in our conversation so I can
“bundle” the changes.
- clamav is in fact already in optdepends, however in order to build
against it it needs to be in makedepends as well
- xapian-core provides efficient indexed search, which I’d argue is
quite a useful feature to have in a mail server. It is linked into
libcyrus_imap.so though, which is in turn linked into imapd (unlike
clamav), therefore it is a hard dependency.
- libcap allows Cyrus’s services to restrict their own capabilities(7)
for enhanced security
- libnghttp2 and brotli add support for HTTP/2 and Brotli compression of
HTTP responses, respectively; which is relevant to CalDAV, CardDAV and
other HTTP services (including JMAP in future versions)
- shapelib allows Cyrus’s Time Zone Distribution Service[2] to associate
time zones with geographical locations
- python-sphinx, perl-pod-pom-view-restructured: required for generation
of some manpages (which are included in the regular package, not the
-docs one. I’d argue that manpages are actually useful to have around).
These are only needed at buildtime and need not be present on the actual
server system.