Xapian searches of the body of an email

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Jan 7 09:57:39 EST 2019

Hi,

--On 7. Januar 2019 um 14:51:02 +0100 Egoitz Aurrekoetxea
<egoitz at sarenet.es> wrote:

> This seems to take ages...

why don't you run it for a single account first, to make sure that it
actually helps?

>I'm trying to figure the best way of
> implementing this and of clarifying concepts.... I'm running Squatter in
> rolling replication mode and exist the concept of conversations then.
> What is the exact role of each of them?. Squatter seems to index the
> mailbox but when something is not properly indexed instead of running
> Squatter you use ctl_conversations for reindexing some part again or...

squatter is nowadays a bit of a misnomer, because it uses whatever index
you have configured. In cyrus 2.4, squatter would always create a SQUAT
index. When you run squatter with Xapian, it will build the index, but for
the index to actually work, you also need the conversationsdb. squatter
does not touch the conversationsdb! The index is only a pointer to the
conversationsdb, not to actual messages.

Robert can probably explain this much better than me, but I think the
problem is the following:

• when you have conversations enabled in imapd.conf, normal deliveries to
the mailboxes (e.g. using lmtpd) will update the conversationsdb

• syncing (at least using the "old" mechanism, not sure about sync
between instances running 3.0)  does *not* update the conversationsdb

Once you have a running 3.0 server, you probably won't need to run
ctl_conversationsdb ever again. But when you are at the stage of syncing
mail from 2.4 to 3.0, you *will* need to rebuild each user's conversationdb
at least once, after you have finished with syncing that user.

Again, this is all based on my understanding and not an official answer.

> El 07-01-2019 10:19, Sebastian Hagedorn escribió:
>
>> That sounds like the conversationsdb issue I was talking about. Have you
>> tried these steps?
>>
>> ctl_conversationsdb -z USER
>> ctl_conversationsdb -b USER

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sebastian Hagedorn
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.